Under the leadership of its Board of Directors, the chapter membership devotes its efforts to these key areas:
- Promoting professional development
- Supporting open government
- Protecting the First Amendment
- Advocating for shield laws
- Understanding and resolving ethical issues
- Staying informed about relevant issues
SPJ/LA has won many honors, including the national SPJ Circle of Excellence Award in 2009, for its programs aimed at honing professional skills, and keeping abreast of the important issues affecting the practice of journalism.
In addition to programs on topical issues in news and media today, the chapter hosts regular informal “mixers” that provide opportunities for networking with other journalists and news sources.
And, the chapter members remain consistent campaigners for government openness and a better working relationship between law enforcement and the media. SPJ/LA annually provide scholarships that help worthy college students complete their journalism degrees.